Professional Home Care offered by Comfort Keepers in Ogden, UT
Professional Home Care Givers Tips For Keeping Seniors Safe From Fires
Seniors have a higher risk of injury and death in house fires than other groups. Age related health problems and health problems can make it very difficult for seniors to get out of a home quickly if a fire breaks out. Preventing fires and creating a disaster plan are things that should be priorities for seniors and their families. Professional home care givers can help.
Why Seniors Are At High Risk For Fire Injuries
Getting old is associated with a decline in ones mental as well as physical abilities, a major explanation to their sluggish and relatively uncoordinated response to fire accidents. Their ability to make use of the five senses in escaping from fire accidents is also greatly impaired. As a company, Comfort Keepers in home care providers has a staff that is well educated on these issues.
Elderly people have an unfortunate increase in reaction timing. Anatomical changes to the corpus callosum, and other neural areas occasioned by aging are thought to be responsible for this. Medications which have significant effects on the nervous system also tend to make the drowsy and slow to respond to emergencies.
Because seniors have a harder time reacting swiftly and getting out of a dangerous situation it’s a good idea to do everything possible to prevent fires. Comfort Keepers professional home care givers can help seniors avoid fires in their homes by helping them with cooking and using the stove, scheduling regular maintenance for hot water heaters and other appliances, and making sure that cords are in good shape and power outlets aren’t overloaded.
Professional Home Care Givers Tips For Fire Safety And Prevention:
Our professional home care givers see ways that families and seniors can improve their fire safety and prevention every day. Based on their experiences these are the best ways that seniors and families can prepare for and prevent fires at home:
- Installation of smoke detectors; as the saying goes, where there is smoke there’s fire. Detecting smoke in timely fashion could prevent major fire accidents. The detectors should be positioned in well-thought locations such as ceilings, sleeping areas and in every floor in storied building. Apart from fixing them regular maintenance by cleaning and replacement of the batteries is advised.
- Devising a response plan; as much as detector would help you know the presence of a fire, having a plan will help in undertaking directed efforts in case of a fire accident. Mark the exit routes and place walking aids in the appropriate places for the seniors.
- Take on safe cooking practices; to avoid kitchen fires you ought to be more cautious while cooking besides getting rid of grease on your cooking pots. Having an ABC fire extinguisher is recommended.
- Adopt responsible smoking habits; avoid smoking while in the kitchen and getting rid of ash in an appropriate manner.
- Fix your faulty electrical circuits; address electrical problems such as dimming lights and overloaded switches to avoid electrical fires.
If you’re worried about the safety of your loved one in Ogden, UT who lives alone call us today to find out more about how Comfort Keepers compassionate and experienced professional home care givers can help keep your loved one safe.