20 Questions To Ask Before Hiring An At Home Care Agency
By: Louie J. Frucci, RN, CSA, CDP
Selecting a home care agency, be it skilled (nursing care) or non-medical for yourself or a loved one, can be a daunting task. In the past few years, the at home care industry has exploded with numerous agencies along the Wasatch Front. Many are new to the area and new to the business of home care. Local agencies with many years of experience are usually more financially stable, more accessible, and better able to meet the challenges of providing a quality home care product. Before hiring any agency, ask these questions either on the phone or during the in-home assessment:
- How long has your at home care agency been in business serving the local community?
- Does your agency carry liability insurance coverage to protect your clients?
- Are all caregivers screened, including real-time criminal background checks and driving records, and do you perform monthly background checks on all current caregivers?
- Are your caregivers employed by the company (not sub-contractors) and covered by Workers’ Compensation to protect our assets against legal action?
- Are the caregivers adequately trained, bonded and insured?
- Does your agency have a method for tracking caregiver arrival and departure from the clients’ home?
- Does your company provide 24-hour telephone coverage (not just an answering machine) for handling emergencies?
- Can you provide back-up coverage if one of your caregivers is unable to make a shift?
- Does your at home care agency require a minimum number of hours? If so, what is the minimum?
- Is your agency licensed in Utah to provide personal care, i.e. bathing, dressing and grooming assist?
- Does your agency maintain a business office where our family can visit and meet your staff?
- Is there a registered nurse on staff and a dedicated Client Care Coordinator available for consultation and questions?
- Do you have, in writing, a list of all services available and clearly define all fees?
- Does your at home care agency make periodic supervisory visits to a client’s home?
- Can you provide documentation that states the rights and responsibilities of the client, code of ethics and HIPAA compliance?
- Can you provide emergency monitoring systems?
- Will your agency provide a free in-home assessment prior to starting services?
- How quickly can your agency start services?
- Can your agency provide Interactive Caregiving™ to keep my loved one physically and mentally active and engaged, and not just “babysit”?
- Does your agency require any contracts or service agreements, long or short term? How much notice is required to cancel or hold services?
As a local agency with almost 14 years experience, Comfort Keepers at home care agency is uniquely qualified to meet the immediate needs of you or your family members. We are also the only agency in Utah owned and operated by a registered nurse and physician assistant. For help in finding quality home care, contact us at Comfort Keepers at (801) 204-9202.
We've been a BBB Accredited Business since 2017!
We serve the following cities in Weber, Davis, Utah and Box Elder Counties:
Alpine, American Fork, Bountiful, Brigham City, Cedar Fort, Cedar Hills, Centerville, Clearfield, Clinton, Draper, Eagle Mountain, Eden, Elk Ridge, Farmington, Farr West, Fruit Heights, Harrisville, Highland, Hooper, Huntsville, Kaysville, Layton, Lehi, Liberty, Lindon, Mapleton, Marriott-Slaterville, North Ogden, North Salt Lake, Ogden, Orem, Payson, Perry, Plain City, Pleasant Grove, Pleasant View, Provo, Riverdale, Roy, Salem, Santaquin, Saratoga Springs, South Ogden, South Weber, Spanish Fork, Springville, Sunset, Syracuse, Uintah, Vineyard, Washington Terrace, West Bountiful, West Haven, West Point, Willard, Woodland Hills, Woods Cross, and more
3520 Lincoln Ave #4, Ogden, UT 84401